Home » Gold Dips as Fed Officials Suggest Higher-for-longer US Rates
Economy Featured News

Gold Dips as Fed Officials Suggest Higher-for-longer US Rates

Gold prices inched lower as hawkish comments from two U.S. Federal Reserve officials on Monday weighed on non-yielding bullion and markets looked for more clarity around U.S. debt ceiling negotiations.

Spot gold was down 0.1% to $1,974.90 per ounce. U.S. gold futures settled 0.2% lower at $1,977.10.

President Joe Biden and House Republican Speaker Kevin McCarthy will discuss the debt ceiling on Monday, which will be closely watched to see if a resolution is reached after negotiations broke off on Friday.

While worries over a deal on the debt ceiling not being implemented before June 1 could cause some flight-to-safety buying into gold, the marketplace seems to believe that a financial crisis can be averted, said Jim Wyckoff, senior analyst at Kitco Metals.

Bullion traders were also watching the dollar closely, which was a major element in the lack of buying interest in the gold market recently, Wyckoff said.

Markets await the minutes of the latest U.S. Federal Open Market Committee meeting due on Wednesday. Markets are pricing in a 68.6% chance of rates being held steady next month, yet a 31.4% chance of a 25-basis-point hike, the CME FedWatch tool showed.

Minneapolis Fed President Neel Kashkari told CNBC that “it may be that we have to go north of 6%” to get inflation back to the Fed’s 2% target, while St. Louis Fed President James Bullard said there might be the need to go higher on the policy rate.

Gold tends to lose appeal in a high interest rate environment.

″$1,960 remains a key zone of support, a significant break of which could signal a much deeper correction is on the cards,” Craig Erlam, a senior market analyst at OANDA, wrote in a note.

Spot silver fell 0.6% to $23.67 per ounce, platinum was up 0.6% to $1,068.88 while palladium dipped 1.6% to $1,488.87.

Source : CNBC



Ohio Miner is a global leader in the online news. We seek to inform and engage with our readers. Staffed 24 hours, seven days a week by a dedicated team around the globe, we deliver news from journalists around the world. We are contrarian truth-seekers and truthtellers. We are journalists united by a mission to inform and engage with our readers.

We bear witness to history as it unfolds and explain not just what happened, why it happened and what it means to our readers and the public.

We are contrarian, we are committed to the news, speaking truth to power.